The society began in 1945, when a group of doctors at Ipswich Hospital discovered they shared the hobby of stamp collecting. Together with George Dalton, a local stamp dealer they decided to form a philatelic society. The Ipswich Stamp Club was born. George Dalton knew many collectors in the area and agreed to call the first meeting. This was held in the Golden Lion Hotel, Ipswich on Friday 5th October 1945. The club flourished and today, meets at Cedarwood Primary School in Kesgrave. In January 1946 the club began meeting at the Golden Lion and organised a series of displays of stamps by members and guests.
After the initial meeting the club decided to organise, from January 1946, a series of displays of stamps by members and guests. In the following year the club introduced the 'exchange packet service'. This enabled members to sell their surplus stamps to fellow collectors by means of circulating boxes of stamps to other members. The first auction and competition were also held in this year, together with a ‘Brains Trust’ and a Quiz. With the club firmly established, members began giving displays to other societies, and inviting other clubs to display to Ipswich. On 25th - 27th September 1948, ‘An Exhibition of Postage Stamps’ was held at the Art Gallery in Ipswich. The exhibition was intended to publicise philately in East Anglia, as the 37th Philatelic Congress of Great Britain was being held at Norwich in May. Ten members of the society provided 28 frames of exhibits for this exhibition, which was very successful.
Annual Subscription Rate is £10.00 per person.
The season begins on 19th September with a guest speaker showing stamps of Malaysia. Followed by 2 meetings each in October and November. In December and January we only have one meeting each month, which is in the afternoon, especially for those who don't like travelling at night during Winter, but obviously ALL are welcome.
See 'Programme' page for full details.